In self defence, you must do whatever feels appropriate.
Some of your responses will have gaping holes in them, but others will not.
The more skilled you become, the more effective your responses will be.
Gauge the appropriateness relative to the effect:
- Did it work?
- Are you compromising yourself? Over-committing?
- Was there any adverse feedback?
- Did you allow for multiple attackers?
- What did it do to your opponent?
- Were they rooted when you struck/manipulated them?
- Was it easy to perform?
- Smooth or jarring?
- Was it hurried and quick?
- Were you calm and composed?
Be honest with yourself and work on any weaknesses in your composure, body use and application.