Tuesday

5 stars

Coming home from my first class at the Newcastle Tai Chi school, feeling whole, relaxed and grounded as if I had had the most intensive massage, is something I never expected. And it happens every week.

 As an older person with inflammatory arthritis who has had 5 joints replaced, I was keen to find a suitable exercise that would not exacerbate the arthritis in my remaining joints. I have been delighted to find an exercise that improves the way I use my joints and makes me feel even better than I could have ever imagined.

 I was recommended to take up Tai Chi by a friend and I chose Newcastle Tai Chi simply because it was the nearest to me and it seemed to be very well organised. On my very first attendance I adjusted my expectations upwards. After researching tai chi online, I became aware of the significance of Sifu Waller, the leader of the school, in the ethos and high standards the school sets; I discovered his amazing credentials as one of the most highly qualified teachers in the UK. His wife, Rachel, is equally impressive in her years of experience, her grace and elegance, providing inspiring, knowledgeable, inclusive guidance that is somehow personal to you, while at the same time she keeps a 360-degree eye on the rest of the class. 

 I came away from that first class being so very grateful that I had chosen Newcastle Tai Chi. 

 The main benefit I was seeking is being delivered (my journey stretches out enticingly before me), but there are other unexpected benefits;

 • a font of technical knowledge accumulated by Rachel and Sifu and published on the school website that members of the school have access to (Despite researching the website weekly, I have yet to get anywhere near exhausting its contents).
 • additional activities in the form of Tai Chi in the park and workshops • experienced and friendly help, freely offered by senior members of the school,
 • a strong sense of camaraderie,
 • a social aspect in the form of out-of-school activities, and finally
 • the Tea Club.

 I am surprised to find in Newcastle Tai Chi something that far exceeds what I originally sought for my joints. I am inspired to do better, to be calmer and to relax more and I have found something that appeals to my view on life. I am confident that this is far more than you would get at an average session provided by any other tai chi school in the North East.

 (Joan Trinder) 

No comments: